Monday, February 8, 2010

Day 8 - Banana Day

I enjoyed one half of the banana for breakfast. Unfortunately, as it ripened, I noticed a huge bruise on the bottom of the fruit. Not a big deal usually, but I had to cut off about 3 cents worth, and that hurt. I enjoyed the banana with corn flakes from partner Arlene and the leftover almond milk. I finished the squash soup, tea and some rice.
My morning snack was at Whole Foods. I stopped by to check on a book, and discovered that their book offerings had dwindled considerably from the last time I was there, about 10 years ago. They did not have the book I was looking for, but I did find all sorts of nice foods. I had a piece of oat bran bread, a small cup of coffee and a taste of black barley salad. The barley was substantial and chewy, but I have to admit that I like my own wheat berry salad a little better. I picked out a pound of old-fashioned rolled oats, setting me back 63 cents. I tried to find some conventional bulk raisins, but they only had expensive packages.
On the way back from the garden, I stopped by Trader Joe's. Again, they had some really great coffee and a taste of chicken salad. I bought a tub of black cherry yogurt and another banana. The saleslady commented on what a nice lunch I had,
"Great! Lunch for under a dollar!"
Well, yes, that's my plan, except it has to last for the whole day.
I just hope I picked a good banana. When I went back to the display, a young man was pouring older bananas into a cart. I asked if they were going to throw them away and he said that they take them to a county food pantry. I was glad that at least some of them were going to be used. I know that my own local food pantry throws away the ripe bananas.
I had a late lunch of salad greens, wheat berry salad and half a beet.
At dinner, I ate steamed kale, potatoes and tikka masala. The masala tastes much better with potatoes than with the other vegetables I used earlier. I also had some buttered rice and some almond cookies, the container of yogurt and some pomegranate seeds.
This afternoon, I made some granola with the rolled oats I purchased. (The cardamom is from partner Matthew.) I don't like my granola too sweet. Here's the recipe:
1/2 pat butter
1 teaspoon honey
1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
6-8 almonds, chopped
3/4 cup rolled oats
Put the butter and honey into a non-stick fry pan and heat over low heat. Stir, add the other ingredients and continue to cook until the almonds and oats are toasted. Be careful not to burn the granola. Store in an airtight container.
I spent $1.61 today and have 8 cents left over.

No comments:

Post a Comment